Hot Cross Buns that are worthy!!!



Now don’t freak out when you see a lot of ingredients ok? 


I say this because I know how much I freak out when I see a lot of ingredients! I look at the recipe and quickly decide that it goes in the ‘too hard basket’. Not interested. But these little Hot Buns can’t help it. It’s just how they roll. So I make exceptions because they taste so damn fine!!

I swear as much as I can’t stand the fact that almost all of the store bought hot cross buns are absolutely laden with things that are not meant to be ingested……I can’t deny it....

They taste so amazing.

And you know what, I know that I am probably going to end up eating one over Easter. And I’m trying to be ok with things like that these days. Because for years I have cornered myself with self talk.

But I have struggled to find recipes that meet my standards for hot cross buns. Not because of the taste, because of the texture. I don’t want a hot cross ‘muffin’ or ‘cupcake’. I want a HOT CROSS BUN damn it!! But unfortunately gluten and yeast give bread it’s chewy bounce. It's the reason why dough retracts when you pull it.  But this recipe I am pretty happy with. With that said it is still a little runny and I still need to cook them in a muffin tray or moulds. Blaaaaah.  But at least now I can eat, and eat…..and eat them and feel less shitty about myself. 


I love hot cross buns. Done.


P.s  This recipe uses Tapioca flour which I don't usually like to use due to the starch but sometimes you just need to make exceptions. 



Gluten free Hot Cross Buns


Makes 6 


Dry ingredients

3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
2 teaspoon mixed spice.
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
1 tsp orange zest or peel if you like mixed peel taste
pinch salt
1/3 cup raisins, sultanas or currents or mixed


Wet ingredients

1/3  cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 eggs
1 ½ tbsp. butter or coconut oil softened
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey

Piping mix for crosses

1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp rice flour or tapioca flour
1 tbsp coconut oil melted
2 tbsp water
1 tsp honey


How to make:
  1. Mix all dry ingredients together
  2. Mix in the wet ingredients 
  3. Now pour your mix straight into a greased muffin tray or into cup cake patties


Now to make your crosses


  1. Mix the rice flour and coconut flour together and mix in the water until you have a paste
  2. Slightly melt the honey and combine with the coconut oil. Combine with the flour paste
  3. You may need to add a little more water as the coconut flour absorbs moisture wherever it goes!
  4. Once you have a paste that is the slightest bit runny, place into a zip lock bag and snip the end to pipe your crosses



Now bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes (depending on the oven) or until a knife is inserted and removed cleanly.

OMG so good!





Comments