Roasted root vegetables with amaranth and coconut porridge


I love love love thinking outside the box when it comes to food. It's when I let my creativeness off the hook to go for a run. And mine sprints! I love challenging the status quo when it comes to ingredients and using them in messed up ways. Yes people chocolate DOES go with meat!

With life taking a different turn for me recently, I haven’t had the luxury of hitting some of the new hotspot restaurants around town to see what has been happening on the food scene. I get a lot of inspiration from seeing what chefs are creating for their menus. But these days even simple celery can be made to sound like some highly sought after super food from Middle Spain. Just because of the way it is prepared. Whoa, celery. Having said that, I really do think there is room to start recycling some of our old ideas of what we eat, how we eat it and when. I don't have a super spesh recipe for you here, I'm just encouraging you to shake things up a bit.


Like this breakfast dish.......

Porridge with vegetable salad. Not fruit salad. Vegetable salad. Yes vegetables and porridge can go together. And yes they can go together for breakfast, just like fruit. 




I rarely consume grains, so if I feel like making this then I use either puffed quinoa or amaranth. If you love a warm bowl of porridge or oats with fruit but are limiting your sugar intake (but still allowing some root vegetables) then this is a great alternative. Roasting the veggies will concentrate the flavour so you are still getting that sweetness without the extra carb load. You can also easily omit the grain and just have the warm vegetables with coconut cream and some crushed nuts and seeds.


Here is the cast of ingredients:

Use any mix of the following vegetables....


  • Pumpkin
  • Zucchini
  • Sweet potato 
  • Yellow squash 
  • Beetroot

1. Once you have picked whatever medley suits your tastes (for me it's just what I have on hand) dice them into small squares and drizzle with melted coconut oil 
3. Season with a tiny bit of salt and cinnamon
4. Bake at 200 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, making sure to flip them half way.

And the porridge??

Mix your coconut cream with any of the following. There are no rules here!


  • Puffed amaranth
  • Puffed quinoa
  • A mix of crushed nuts, seeds and coconut
  • Any nut meal, LSA or ground flaxseed 

Or all of the above!

If you want a warm porridge rather than a cereal then heat your coconut cream slightly in a saucepan (I keep mine cold so it's thicker!) and slowly stir in your dry porridge ingredients. 

Serve the roasted vegetables on top and with an extra dollop of coconut cream! 



Ok this isn't 'roasted' vegetables but it is still vegetables topped with coconut for breakfast!









Comments