Messin with hummus

As far as I am concerned, ALL recipes are up for grabs when it comes to personal interpretation and creativeness. There are no rules with food! You can do whatever the hell you want, no one is gonna care.....unless of course it tastes spectaculaaaaaar and everyone does a happy dance inside their mouths.......then they really care.

I know some people can get a lil antsy in their pants when others mess with traditional old age recipes and I totally get that. It just means that you might not want to make what I am about to show you!!! I didn't have a clear goal here but I had some chickpeas and I felt like dip so I decided that I would mix things up with some humus and see what I came up with. Needless to say, I was kinda chuffed at the end result so here they are.......


Coriander hummus


2 cups of soaked or 1 can of chickpeas
1 large handful of coriander chopped finely
¼ cup tahini
1/3 cup olive oil 
2 cloves crushed garlic2 Tbs of water
2 Tsp cumin
¼ Tsp turmeric
¼ Tsp sea salt

  1. Place chickpeas, tahini, olive oil and garlic into a food processor and blend away!
  2. Add water, cumin, turmeric and salt
  3. Add coriander and blend for just another 30 seconds until some of the coriander has blended.









Beetroot and apple hummus


1 large beetroot
2 medium sized apples grated (preferably a sweeter variety, I used fuji apples)
2 cups of chickpeas or one can
¼ cup of tahini
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves of crushed garlic
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
ground pepper


  1. Cut beetroot in half and wrap each piece in foil and roast in the oven for 1 hour at 180 degrees then allow to cool
  2. While wearing gloves peel the skin off the beetroot and dice into 1 cm pieces.
  3. Place the beetroot, ½ of the grated apple and chickpeas into a food processer and blend.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients except for the rest of the grated apple and continue to blend until smooth.
  5. Once blended, transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining apple.


Serve any of these hands down the best most simplest cracker recipe  from Eat Drink Paleo or spread on some warm gluten free bread!


Comments