Salmon, blueberry and avo salad...screwing up supermarket recipes!

I’m not even embarrassed to say that I love the free supermarket recipes. If you live in Australia, I am talking about the recipe mags you get at Coles and Safeway (still can’t call it Woolworths yet!) I love them!!! For a few reasons:

a) I like keeping tabs of what certain celebrity ‘health advocates’ are endorsing. Which are almost always a joke!

b) I am interested in seeing (or praying rather) whether there is a shift in what is being communicated as ‘healthy’

c) I am addicted to cleaning up the recipes that cause a slight vomit in my mouth as a result of merely reading the amount of refined sugars or processed products being used in them.

d) Food inspo. Not to slot into a recipe collection (I do hoard though!) but for me too create my own, to MY liking or with what ever I have on hand or fits my budget.

I always rant about not being a slave to recipes. That's why I am forever making substitutes. I'm not going to go out and buy every single ingredient all the time (unless it's a special occasion recipe!)  You have to learn to substitute. Relying on recipes all the time means you are always relying on something outside of yourself to cook rather than being able to use your own skills and abilities.  

So here is one of my tear aparts! Thanks Coles, there are ways in which you do ‘kinda’ rock!


      Salmon, blueberry and avo salad 


  • 2 cups of cauliflower rice*
  • 1 can of pink salmon (as sustainably sourced as you can find please!)
  • 1 punnet of blueberries
  • 1 avo chopped
  • 1 Lebanese cucumber diced
  • ½ cup chopped mint
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbs tamari
  • 1 small chilli finely chopped


This salad would also taste amazing with brown rice if you consume grains!



  1. Combine rice and mint in one bowl and the cucumber, blueberries and avo in another bowl. We are going to layer this baby because my dish looked shitty and we want yours to look pretty.
  2. Mix together your lemon juice and tamari
  3. Now divide your cauli mint mix between four plates, then top with your berry mix.
  4. Flake the canned salmon across your four serves, drizzle each with your lemon and tamari dressing and sprinkle chilli or sesame seeds.




*Making caulk rice is super simple. Cut off the florets off and throw into a food processor and blitz until you have a crumbly texture like a cross between rice and cous cous. Takes 2 seconds!

Comments