Brains and gains bars


I have been upping the anti on the challenges and am trying my hardest to use as little sweeter as possible!! Trying only to use the natural sweetness from fresh fruit!
And why did I call these 'brains and gains' bars? Pretty much because they are full of fuel for our brains with nuts and nut butter and with some added protein powder for gains!! This was inspired while at work when my boss was making some brownies from The Big Man's World. Seeing as I am foregoing any chocolate or cacao for the next month (stupidity I know) I decided to substitute and make these protein packed and with a banana coconut icing! Booooooom!!!


Stuff you need

  • 1 cup mashed banana (approx. 3 medium sized, the riper the better)
  • ½ cup nut butter
  • ¼ cup vanilla plant based protein powder
  • 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ crushed walnuts


Icing (optional)

  • 3 tablespoons coconut cream
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
  • 2 tablespoons mashed banana 


  1. Preheat the oven the 180 degrees, grease a small loaf pan and set aside.
  2. In a small saucepan melt your nut butter.
  3. Place your protein powder in a mixing bowl and combine you’re your dry ingredients.
  4. Add the banana, then vanilla and lastly your your nut butter and mix very well. Doing it in this order means you are saving yourself from being a powder puff of protein powder.
  5. Pour the mixture into the greased slice pan and bake for around 15-20 minutes. I don’t like a dry airy cake like slice. I want a nice dense chewy texture on the inside so I pull it out when I stick in a knife and it is still slightly moist inside (hate that word!!)
  6. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
  7. Once cooled, add the icing and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.



Comments